Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Connections

One of the things that I've really enjoyed in this class so far is how everything is related. In the summer reading and the first essay we read I was sort of picking up on the connections between the readings, but didn't really pursue any ideas because of it. I guess I just figured that we were moving on from topic to topic.

After the second packet that we read and the following class discussion, I was starting to realize something. All of these readings actually relate to eachother! That got me excited, and I started looking for how things connected.

I didn't expect the direction that we took on The Great Gatsby. To be honest, I've never really liked that book, and I assumed that we'd talk about all the "Money doesn't buy happiness" cheezies that we did when I read this in 7th grade. Once we started talking about the concept of the green light, I had to rethink my perception of the book. I guess because the first time I read it I was in second grade and the second time was really just done to get the summer homework finished, I wasn't looking for anything like a futile grasping for an unreachable goal. Now I regret not reading it more thoroughly. I think that I may have enjoyed the book a lot more if I had.

2 comments:

Elmo said...

I wrote second grade. I meant 7th. Sorry

Maddie said...

Abby, I liked your blog because it was easy to understand your feelings. I read "The Old Man and the Sea" when I was very young and neither liked it nor understood it. I read it again recently, and I enjoyed it. When I read it for the first time, it was merely an elementary read, trying just to understand the plot. The second time I read it, I understood and appreciated its metaphors more. When you read "The Great Gatsby" for the first time, you probably didn't quite grasp its second meanings. Now that you've read it on more than one level, you can fully appreciate Fitzpatrick's book. Good work!