Monday, August 25, 2008

Language

Language evolves over time as new things are introduced and old things fade away. The word "blog" didn't exist ten years ago. "iPod" has become the generic term for any MP3 player. However, if I told you to get off the davenport, you would probably slap me. Words cycle in and out because they have to keep up with the rest of the world.

Your personal language changes all the time, even if you don't realize it. If I started refering to the sofa/couch/divan as a davenport, and Maddie liked the word, she may start using it. Annalee picks it up off of Maddie. Suddenly, three people are saying davenport, so obviously it's a cool word to say. Now everyone is saying "davenport." People pick up on new words all the time, and as more people say them, even more people will start to use them on a regular basis.

In the future, Chicano may become a more standard language in the Southwest. Anglo children will play with chicano children, and naturally it will become part of every day life. However, some of these kids may have parents who do not want them to speak Chicano English. Situations like this cause people to change their language based on their enviornments.

I do not speak to my parents like I speak to my friends. My friends make fun of each other and themselves in ways that an adult may interperate as offensive. Words choices with friends may be a little more blunt, though it's all in good humor. A parent would punish their kid for disrespect if (s)he said to them what (s)he said with friends.

Language is your identity, but like your identity, it changes. No piece of your language is ever entirely left behind, it just adapts to the changing enviornments.

2 comments:

AHugs. said...

Abby-
I think that we had the same idea about what to write for this assignment. I also touched on the changing world of language based on the changing world in of itself. However, one thing you picked up on that I did not was the section about how you interact differently with adults rather than peers. I thought that you made some really valid points in that section that were very insightful.

Erin Healey said...

Abby,
I loved the final paragraph of this piece. I had not thought of identities changing with words. It is a very interesting point to bring up. I can see how people change the way they act based on the words that they use. Also, the point of two different languages was something I could relate with. I hadn't connected that I have a language with my parents and a language with my friends until you brought it up in your piece. Good point!