Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Handmaid's Tale

I just finished a book that Maddie lent me called The Handmaid's Tale. It's amazing. It depicts a world in which the Bible is taken literally, but this occurs in the future, and the transition is instantaneous. The woman from whom the perspective of the book is written is part of the transitional generation. Her duty is to become impregnated by her Commander because his wife cannot bear children, and because she is nothing more than a uterus with legs, everything that her ruling bodies think she should want is provided for. However, she is trapped. Women can no longer read or own anything. The Eyes spy on you wherever you go, and no one is allowed to leave. Even to leave her home, she must have a pass. All women's skin must be completely covered, but as a handmaid, the main character must also cover her face. Every freedom she once knew is taken from her. She who does not wish to be a vessel of fertility much either be forced to toil in the Colonies, cleaning up toxic spills, or as a whore for the Commanders looking for a more physical sexual experience.

The book is loaded with twists that reflect how complicated human nature really is. It brings religious fundamentalism, misogyny, and basic liberty into question while telling the story.

1 comment:

Maddie said...

The first time I read this book, I was in seventh grade and, while I thought it was good, I didn't quite grasp some of the subtler themes that ran throughout it. I reread it again in ninth grade, and it thoroughly blew my mind. I knew more about the contents of the Bible when I gave it a second try and was amazed at how Margaret Atwood wove biblical cruelties so beautifully into her plot and her characters. I think that the book, while provocative, should be read by all, especially religious zealots. I'm glad you liked it!

PS- I'm lending you another book, "We Need to Talk About Kevin."