Sunday, December 7, 2008

I.C. Update

I've been trying to find information on the benefits that come from the meat industry, but I'm afraid that what I've found is pretty weak. This is what I came up with:

1. People like the taste of meat, and people need protein. The problem here is that new research has found that only 10% of your daily caloric intake should come from protein sources because carbs are a more efficient energy source.

2. The factory farming methods, which in the meat industry are the biggest polluters and most unethical methods, allow for meat/eggs/dairy to be produced more cheaply, so they're cheaper for the public.

3. If we didn't keep killing cows for food, they'd die off because they wouldn't be making profit, so no one would take care of them? This has almost no weight at all.

Another problem that I'm running into is that none of these things relate back to the effect of the meat industry on the environment. Maybe weighing the ability to make meat cheap and the ethics of the price that comes at would work, but I don't know if that would be too much of a stretch.

No comments: