Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Extracurricular Education

I chose my high school based on the value of its extracurricular education programs. Yes, academics played a minor role, but I selected based on the assumption that I would be able to find a rigorous program at almost any high school. I believe that the majority of learning in grades 9-12 occurs outside of the conventional classrooms. Precalculus is important, but I think that while you're just sitting watching a teacher write stuff of the white board, you're not learning much that will be useful when you reach the real world. Even if you're an engineer and need to know a lot about math, you won't be very successful if you can't work with others or express your ideas. P.E. helps teens learn to support each other; those that are good at soccer often stop to help those that aren't. If you have to do pull-ups assisted, you really have to trust the person spotting you, and you have to communicate about how you're feeling. Art allows you to explore your creativity. Not only do you have to learn what you're feeling, but also you have to learn how to express that feeling to any stranger who walks by your painting. Clubs are valuable because they encourage learning after school hours and help in building intimate relationships and self-esteem. I value my extracurricular education because there is so much in the world outside of UHS that doesn't relate to things you can learn in a text book.

1 comment:

WonderousWonderWeasel42 said...

While I would not go as far to say that i chose my high school based on its extracurricular education program, I agree with you on many points. One thing I also think is important is the non-curricular based education you receive during class. I feel like I learned more about people and problem solving from Ms. Dean's classroom time then I did about ancient rome (and we covered a lot of material). I do not think P.E. helps teens learn to support each other, but that may be just me.