Sunday, February 8, 2009

Rhetoric on the Town

My first photo is of a place called Marsh Hometown Market by my house. This used to be called LoBill. I think the area I live in is pretty nice, but I do have several friends who call my area the ghetto (ahh, private school). It's not an unsavory place, but it's no Carmel or Zionsville. Hometown Market sure sounds more welcoming than LoBill, and it also doesn't sound like it's a discount Marsh outlet (which it is). I guess this new choice of visual rhetoric worked because I see a lot more cars there than I used to.

Second, I have a Taco Bell. Just an ordinary Taco Bell right across the street from Marsh Hometown Market. I included this because everyone knows that Taco Bell is not Mexican food, and yet it still makes an attempt at looking a little Mexican on the outside. It has imitation adobe exterior in a sort of curvy shape.

After this I drove to Zionsville. There's a Burger King attached to a Village Pantry here. They've got wood slat-type things covering the outside. The signs aren't anything like the flashy neon lights you usually see on fast food and convenience stores. The Village Pantry could almost pass as a local market type thing.

Right above Tasty's Gift Shop (which I took a photo of) is a large billboard with a baby cradled in somebody's hands. The words read "Thou Shalt Not Kill." Regardless of your opinion on abortion, you will probably acknowledge that a fetus looks nothing like the baby that eventually comes out. However, fetuses aren't nearly as cute as the finished product, so whoever paid for this billboard chose a baby.

I took a few other pictures, but these are my best ones, I think.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's an interesting point you make with Taco Bell. I wonder if there will ever be a point where Taco Bell will embrace all of it's hydrogenated, trans-fat, acceptable-heart-attack-inducing goodness. Will Taco Bell ever throw it's hands in the air and drop the healthy angle? Will there ever be a day where Taco Bell proudly proclaims "A Crunchwrap with extra tomatoes and cheese (the best combination, I may add) will kill you! And that's okay!"

If I were Taco Bell, I would take the compliment. People know that TB isn't anywhere near actual Hispanic food, people know that TB's ingredients' quality is dangerously close to par, but they still eat there. Proudly. People put their lives on the line every day to enjoy Taco Bell - Taco Bell should recognize these brave connoisseurs and accept it's bad-for-you herritage.

In short, Taco Bell should drop the healthy hispanic rhetoric (the adobe buildings, the proclamation of "fresh" ingredients) and embrace its perception of having dangerous food.