Sunday, February 1, 2009

Why is football so boring?

"Men can take anything except the taste of diet cola...Pepsi Cola: the first diet cola for men."

Every single one of the commercials I've seen so far has been directed an men. One guy crunches a Dorito and that hot girl's clothes magically go away. Mr. Potato head gets some relief from his nagging, nit-picking wife when her mouth pops off. Check it out! If you use GoDaddy.com you can put two sexy females in a shower together.

Another observation: all football fans must love beer. Seriously, every other commercial is for beer, and all of those make sure you know one of two things. 1) Drinking this type of beer will give you super powers, or 2) Drinking this type of beer will enhance your manliness. If they don't talk about either of those, they mock men doing unmanly things. I would be lying if I said I wasn't amused by them, and they do a good job at catching the attention of their target audience, but still.

The manipulation techniques used in these ads are almost irritating. I've been reading a bunch of feminist books lately (by the way, I highly recommend Insurgent Muse by Terry Wolverton), so I've been hyper-aware of women being sexualized in the media. It seems like if a product were really that good, it wouldn't need to be supplemented by asserting manliness or depicting an either annoying or underwear-clad woman. The lack of originality is disheartening.

I'm probably also overly critical of this because I don't like watching football, so while they're playing, I'm dwelling on the ads I just saw.

No comments: