Monday, May 11, 2009

Envelopes

I'm doing a project as a fundraiser for Life Impact International right now. Life Impact is a Christian organization that is working on humanitarian relief in Pakistan, Burma, and the Thailand/Burma border. Their primary goals there are to establish orphanages and children's homes/hostels, feeding programs for the poor, development works, and aid to refugees and oppressed women. This is done through the context of spreading Christ's love, but that is secondary to helping the people in need.

My project is selling homemade, completely recycled goods with all proceeds going toward Life International. I've made really beautiful envelopes out of magazine pages that not only look really nice, but also are 100% zero-impact on the environment. I'm going to be selling these for 25 cents each, $1 for five. It sounds expensive for envelopes, but they really are pretty, and the money goes to a good cause. I hope to expand to clothing that I make out of t-shirts that would have just been thrown away, cross-stitched art work, handmade journals with paper I make in my sink out of old newspaper, and possibly other stuff. With one person, it takes a long time to manage these things.

I am also collecting school supplies, gently used clothing, and gently used toys. A current project is supporting and improving a school in Thailand, Burma, and Indonesia. Monetary gifts are also always welcome. Thanks for support!

2 comments:

Maddie said...

This is so cool! And good for you. You're certainly one busy person. I wish I was more active in charity work than I am, and your blog has furthered inspired me. I really need to finish that damn library! I would be happy to buy some envelopes, and I wish you good luck.

Bailey Nuckols said...

Abby, this is so amazing and your products sound really cool! It is awesome to see that you are both helping people in need and also using eco friendly products to do so. I don't know where you are selling them but I definitely would be interested in buying some! Are you planning on going to any of the countries alongside the program or is it mostly funding aid that you are personally working on? I went to Costa Rica the summer going into my sophomore year and worked in 3 different orphanages, the children were obviously not refugees, but the experience was invaluable. I hope you raise/make a lot of money, good luck!