Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Garden!

Mother's Day is coming up, which means my dad and I can start working our garden. This year we plan on growing cucumbers, radishes, carrots, green beans, snap-peas, broccoli, corn, tomatoes, and a bunch of herbs. I love planting and tending to the garden. Plus, the vegetables couldn't possibly get any fresher considering you can eat them within minutes of harvesting them. More freshness=more nutrients and better taste. For fertilizer, we're going to steal some of my grandpa's horses' droppings. Fertilizing naturally is important because chemicals are good neither to digest nor to allow to seep into the earth and buried water. However, you need the manure to nitrogenize the ground and give something for the nitrogen-fixing bacteria (which live in the nodules of some plants, esp soybeans) to work with.

Right now I'm growing organic basil in my window sill, and I started a tree. It's only about 4 inches tall now, but it's supposed to grow very tall. I can't even transplant it to the outdoors for two more years.

1 comment:

Erin Healey said...

Abby-
It is very cool that you spend so much time planning your garden. We also have a vegetable garden in our backyard. I love going out there and picking vegetables because they are so much better than what you can get at the grocery store. Good luck gardening!